WebRTC enables real time communications in the browser. What does that have to do with mobile?
On mobile, the main consumption model is through applications and a lot less through a browser. Where does WebRTC come to play in mobile then? Is it limited to the browser, or does it have a life inside apps? What does it really means to embed WebRTC inside an application?
This report intends to answer these questions as well as many more surrounding the use of WebRTC in mobile. It covers theoretical aspects as well as real life examples of vendors who have used WebRTC for their mobile services.
Download the report’s introduction to learn more.
Spanning 45 pages, this report covers in depth all aspects surrounding the use of WebRTC inside mobile applications.
The report details 7 different techniques vendors use to port and use WebRTC in iOS and Android, as well as describing the route taken by 10 different vendors in pursuing their real time communications application.
[expand title=”Table of Contents”]
- Why Mobile and WebRTC?
- Key Findings
- Who Am I Anyway?
- Structure of the Report
- Further Reading
- What is WebRTC?
- WebRTC and Mobile
- Why WebRTC on Mobile?
- Commercial, Proprietary Media Engine
- Open Source, Proprietary Media Engine
- WebRTC as a Mobile Media Engine
- Challenges in RTC Mobile Development
- Changing networks and network conditions
- Smartphone as a Phone
- Mobile Consumption Models
- Ad-hoc Opportunistic Use
- Long-term User
- Other Considerations
- Browser or Application?
- WebRTC and the Mobile Browser
- WebRTC and the Mobile Application
- The Mechanics of WebRTC as a Mobile SDK
- Native, Hybrid or Cross-platform?
- WebRTC SDKs for Mobile
- WebRTC API Platforms for Mobile
- Pros and Cons for Different Approaches
- Mobile Development Approaches with WebRTC
- Mobile Only
- Mobile First
- Web Extension
- Agile Hybrid
- Case Studies
- Amazon Mayday
- Make Believe Labs
- Appendix A: Finding out More
When you purchase this research paper, you also receive:
- Links to select articles about WebRTC in the topics covered in this paper
- Free quarterly updates for a year
The paper will be sent by email in PDF format within 24 hours of purchase.
[/expand] [expand title=”Who is this report for”]
This report is useful if you are:
- Mobile developers, analyzing their options to develop real time communications in mobile applications
- Entrepreneurs, trying to understand how WebRTC fits in their mobile first startup
- Product managers, wanting to see how other vendors have tackled mobile development with WebRTC
The research paper addresses the following key questions:
- What is WebRTC?
- Why do vendors opt for WebRTC in their mobile applications?
- What challenges does mobile post for real time communications?
- How do the consumption models in mobile fits the various communication use cases?
- What are the options for getting WebRTC to work in your mobile application?
- What approaches do vendors take when introducing mobile applications to their service?